Age Gracefully They Say
Age Gracefully They Say - bugger that, I’ve got other ideas! Lately I’ve been feeling a bit vanilla - know what I mean? Mediocre … Mrs Joe Average … even nanna-ish.
Amongst my busy life with work, kids, running the household and trying to squeeze in a little time for myself I’ve somewhere along the way lost my style mojo! I can see my girlfriends reading this and rolling their eyes (you can’t lose what you never had!). Thanks, ladies, I can always rely on you lovelies to bring me down to earth.
I’m not quite sure which shops to shop at and questioning where do I fit in? I’m too old for Sportsgirl but not old enough for Millers. To say that I’ve fallen into a fashion rut is an understatement. But how do I pull myself out of it? I think it’s time to get some professional help - styling help that is, not the psychiatric kind - although on second thoughts…
So I’ve made a list. I’m going to start at the top and work my way down – and, selfishly, it’s all about me. I’m only up to No. 5 at the moment but it’s a work in progress. Bear with me.
1. New Hairstyle (this is on the back burner while I continue to search Google for hairstyles that suit faces with pointy chins, wide forehead, etc. etc.) Next!
2. New Glasses - ok this is a no brainer. Straight to Eyewear on Pako. How good is the range in there? How much fun is it trying on new frames? I just look to owner Chris Benning for inspiration - I don’t think I’ve ever seen Chris wear the same glasses twice and he always looks fabulous, if not a tad out there!
Don’t be afraid to make a statement - he says. Age shouldn’t restrict what glasses you wear - he says. There’s no rules, simply wear what you like and feel good in - he says. And he’s right!
Look at Iris Apfel, Meryl Streep, Whoopi Goldberg, Diane Keaton - all ladies of immense talent, class and style and none of them afraid to push the boundaries.
So I ended up with something a bit bolder than I would normally choose and whilst I didn’t go with the hexagon shaped multi-coloured wooden frames I did push my boundaries just a smidgen more than usual - and decided on a heavier black & silver Burberry frame. I know - out there right?Well, baby steps to start. Maybe the older I get the more senior starlet I’ll become.
Back to the list...
3. Personal Styling Session - done and dusted - tick. More on that in the spring edition of the Ruby where I’ll fill you in on the details of my session.
4. Get body into shape - I’ve taken up Pilates - tick.
5. Take a break - holiday booked - tick.
And the list goes on...
Growing older is a wonderful thing. I feel so much more confident than I did when I was in my 20s and 30s. I don’t sweat the small stuff anymore - if people don’t like me, that’s their problem. I have a very blessed life - a wonderful family, great friends and my health. Who could ask for more? Bring on the golden years - I can’t wait!